The Saraighat Bridge

 History

Saraighat is a place near Guwahati in Assam, on the north bank of the river Brahmaputra. Sarai was a small village where the old abandoned N.F. Railway station of Amingaon was located. SaraighatBridge is at Jalukbari in the District of Kamrup, Assam connecting north and south bank. The ChilaraiPark or Lachit Udyan is situated at the end of the bridge. SaraighatBridge is constructed over the mighty Brahmaputra, also called the Red River. It is the first rail-cum-road bridge on this sacred river. This bridge is also the first bridge on river Brahmaputra in Assam. It was opened to traffic in October 1962 by the then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru. This is a double decker bridge with a national highway on top and railway tracks below. Construction of SaraighatBridge was started on January 1958. It was opened for passenger traffic on 7 June 1963. The estimated cost of the bridge was Rs.10, 65, 16,891. Its length is 1492 meters. A new three-lane concrete road bridge is being constructed by the side of the SaraighatBridge